Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Formula for Success


Just to give you a quick bit of background, I am a college Instructor. I teach Medical Insurance Billing and Coding at an Academy in Tampa and I LOVE my job! One of the courses I teach besides my normal curriculum is a course called "Tools for Success." It is basically a work/reference book that is distributed to the students in conjunction with an 8 hr lecture and activities on becoming a successful individual. It is motivating and self empowering and I have alot of respect for this course and I love when I have the opportunity to teach it. So yesterday I was team teaching this course along with 2 other instructors to a group of about 55 students. Miguel (my boss and former professor) did the introduction to the program and Chapter 1 entitled "What it took to get here." I love listening to Miguel lecture, perhaps it was his dynamic presentation that kept my interest in our field to begin with. He is known to dance, beat box, as well a lecture while standing on the table that you are sitting at. (Just for the visual he is a tall and "SLENDER" Puerto Rican, think Marc Anthony). Anyways so as usual I sat there listening, and as he dove into the content he basically drove the point home that the formula for success has only 3 components... Desire + Courage + Determination. Mind you I have taught and heard the Tools for Success lectures many times since it was introduced but this time something clicked. It was my "A-HA" moment as Oprah calls it. That formula, the one I have been lecturing about is the exact formula that I need in order to be successful. The DESIRE to change the way I feel about myself and my current state of health. The COURAGE to endure the process and to trust that my surgeon is going to take care of me. and The DETERMINATION to create the best outcome for myself. WOWZERS! I am totally motivated, I mean more then I thought I could be. I feel great about it! Not to mention when I weighed myself this morning the scale told me I was down 9 lbs from when I started this process on Dec 18. That's 9 lbs in less then a month and I am happy with that. It is at a healthy pace and I don't feel miserable. Yeah for me! Also, 2 people in the past week have asked me if I have been losing weight.. Thank god I can finally say YES! Bring on the lapband! I am totally ready!

2 comments: